New Headway English Course takes the successful Headway series into an exciting new era. It introduces new features to challenge adult and young adult students and ensure that learning English is interesting and motivating. The course combines the best of traditional methods with more recent approaches, to help students use English both accurately and fluently.
Learners at the upper-intermediate level require a different approach. It is no longer appropriate to examine language items in isolation. In New Headway Upper-Intermediate, grammatical areas are treated in greater depth so that students begin to perceive the systems that underlie the language.
This new upper-intermediate course provides around 120 hours of language learning. It follows on from New Headway Intermediate, and together with Headway Elementary, Headway Pre-intermediate, and Headway Advanced, provides a fully comprehensive language teaching series.
• New, universal topics selected from a wide variety of sources, including authentic listening texts.
• In-depth treatment of grammar Each unit starts with a Test your grammar section, followed by Language in context, where students work out rules through Grammar questions. The Practice Bank provides a choice of wide-ranging exercises and the Grammar Reference gives detailed rules of form and use.
• The grammar of spoken English is examined, with work on areas such as being polite, linking and commenting, adverbs, exaggeration and understatement, and lexis in discourse.
• Thorough skills syllabus All four skills are developed systematically and integrated through related tasks.
• Well-defined lexical syllabus with work on systems such as collocation, binomials, homonyms, and compounds.
• Pronunciation practice is integrated at appropriate points throughout the units.
• Everyday English is practiced in the Postscript section.